Can I use a reciprocating saw to make straight cuts? Yes, you can. The first thing you should do is to mark the workpiece with a permanent marker or a tape measure for visibility purposes. Hold the reciprocating saw in front of you and then press the shoe on the material. After that, align the blade on the marked line closely to make your cuts.
A reciprocating saw is one of the best tools with great cutting power and unique design. Making straight cuts using a reciprocating saw is easy. But if you don’t do it right, you will not get the desired results. I will take you through some techniques and tips on how to cut straight with a reciprocating saw perfectly.
What Do I Need For The Task? Reciprocating Saw
You will require some other tools to make the job successful. Collect every necessary equipment before the task as this saves on time and energy. A reciprocating saw has a high cutting power and cuts through everything. Therefore, you have to put on your safety gear to avoid injuries. Use safety glasses to prevent foreign material from harming your eyes. Besides, consider using the best reciprocating saw as well as the right size and type of blade. You need a tape measure and a permanent marker for more accurate results. Guesswork is discouraged. You also need two clamps and two squares.
Is the Sawzall similar to the reciprocating saw?
Yes. Sawzall is another name for the recip saw. Sawzall is a brand name of the Milwaukee creation. It has a sturdy blade similar to that of a jigsaw and is excellent for both vertical and horizontal surfaces.
What accessories are found on the reciprocating saw?
- LED lighting for poorly lit work areas
- Various speed triggers
- A turning shoe which is adjustable
- Anti-vibration handles
How Do I Cut Straight On A Horizontal Workpiece?
This clearly explains how to use a reciprocating saw to make straight and clean cuts.
- Measure the distance covered by the foot of the saw and the fence distance.
- Mark the area to be cut.
- Use the c clamps to clamp down the fence rail along the edge firmly. This controls vibrations from the saw. Vibrations can make the piece of the wood move from its position, causing rough cuts.
- Keep the foot of the reciprocating saw at the edge with the blade closely aligned to the cutting line or area. Make sure the footrests on the side alongside the fence rail. A foot with a flat edge is the best since it is easy to maintain a straight size pressure on the fence rail when cutting. You will not bother about the veering out or in of blades.
How Do I Cut Straight On A Vertical Workpiece?
The concept of how to cut straight with a reciprocating saw on a horizontal workpiece is also applied to the vertical cuts. However, the blades are different. Consider the following points during the procedure.
- Make measurements on the wall. Fit the rail with wooden screws instead of mounting the surface and fitting it with the rail.
- This will allow you to cut materials of any type in a straight line without having rough cuts.
- Use a thick fence rail to avoid the foot of the saw from slipping out of the surface.
Reciprocating saws are dangerous and can cause harm if poorly handled. You have to observe some preventive measures to avoid injuries.
- Make sure that the recip saw is unplugged when not in use. Unplugging ensures that the saw is not accidentally switched on. Also, do not change the blades or any other accessories while the saw is plugged in. It can cause deep cuts if not handled with care.
- Put on your safety gear before sawing. Safety gear includes; safety glasses to protect your eyes from foreign material, safety gloves, earplugs and overalls. Safety gear protects you from any unnecessary accidents and injuries.
- Do not replace blades immediately after use. Recip saws generate a lot of heat when in the application. To avoid burns, let the machine cool before changing any accessories. If you have to replace them immediately, put on your gloves.
- Handle blunt blades with caution. A dull blade can cut you and cause severe injuries.it may also lead to illnesses such as tetanus.
- Choose the right type of blades. Different blades can cut different materials. Identify the material to be cut to choose the right blade. The blade should be sharp enough to produce clean cuts. Plus, select the proper procedure. With the right equipment and method; you will never stress making straight cuts with a reciprocating saw.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Why should I use a recip saw for straight cuts?
A: Unlike other cutting tools, a reciprocating saw is a powerful tool that cuts through various objects easily. This device has amazing features to provide accurate results within a short period. Furthermore, it is easy to use. The high power makes it fast.
Q: Does a reciprocating saw last long?
A: Proper care and maintenance boost the life span of your device. Use the correct blades for the actual work, dust and clean the saw regularly. Dirt can easily mess with the performance of the saw. Be cautious about the type of work you perform using your device. These are some factors that will make your machine last longer. Rub blade lubricant between cuts to prevent them from becoming dull. The lubricants keep the blade cool and to avoid metal chips from clogging in the blade teeth.
Q: What are the different types of a reciprocating saw blade?
A: There are various reciprocating blades for cutting through different materials. The difference is seen in the blade material or blade shape. The blade types include; combination blades, wood cutting blades, demolition blades, metal cutting blades, carbide grit blades and carbide-tipped blades.
I hope you have learnt some few steps on how to cut straight with a reciprocating saw from this article. Cutting straight is easy if you choose the right blade and equipment. Keep in mind that recip saws are mostly used for their high power. You are guaranteed clean and accurate cuts if you follow the steps carefully. To obtain cleans cuts, choose the right blade and ensure the blade is sharp. Always use the necessary safety equipment to prevent injuries. Remember to unplug the recip saw from the power saw when not in use.